update March 24 at 3:30 p.m.
We are very pleased to report that outbreak protocols have been lifted at Bethany Meadows.
update March 12 at 1:30 p.m.
After the March 10 prevalence testing we have no new positive cases or symptomatic residents. We are hopeful that this means the outbreak can be lifted by the end of the month. We are also awaiting a decision by the Zone Medical Officer of Health as to allowing the residents quarantined in their rooms at Cedar and Willow Cottages to leave their suites.
Our next meeting with Alberta Health Services is on March 23rd. We will provide an update then unless something comes up sooner.
update March 9 at 10:30 a.m.
We have no new positive cases or symptoms among residents following the latest round of prevalence testing on March 5th. The next scheduled prevalence testing is for Wednesday, March 10th.
The remaining residents on contact/droplet precautions have now been removed from those precautions though remain quarantined to their rooms with meal service being delivered. We are hopeful they will be allowed out of their rooms after test results are returned from the next scheduled prevalence testing.
We also have no new staff members testing positive for COVID-19 or exhibiting symptoms. Staff members who had previously tested positive have recovered and are now back at work.
Our next meeting with Alberta Health Services is scheduled for Friday, March 12th.
update March 3 at 11:00 a.m.
We are pleased to report that after the latest round of prevalence testing we have no new cases or symptomatic residents and staff.
The residents in Cedar and Willow Cottages who had been placed on contact/droplet precautions are expected to be taken off these precautions tomorrow if they remain asymptomatic. Prevalence testing for these two cottages is scheduled for March 5th.
Our next meeting with Alberta Health Services is Tuesday, March 9th at which time we will provide our next update.
update February 26 at 1:00 p.m.
We are deeply saddened that two of our residents who had tested positive for COVID-19 have passed away. This is disheartening news and we send our thoughts and prayers to the families of the residents.
We had nine total residents who tested positive – of these, three have passed away and six have recovered.
After the prevalence testing earlier this week, we have no new cases among residents or staff, for which we are grateful. We also have no residents on contact/droplet precautions any longer in Oak and Maple Cottages.
We still have some residents on contact/droplet precautions in Cedar and Willow Cottages (though they have not tested positive for COVID-19). Prevalence testing is scheduled for those cottages for Monday, March 1.
Our next scheduled meeting with Alberta Health Services is Tuesday, March 2.
update February 23 at 4:30 p.m.
After prevalence testing today, we have a new resident case of COVID-19. The resident had already been place on extra precautions (along with 9 other residents) due to close contact with a staff member who had tested positive; because of these extra precautions, we are hopeful that the spread is limited to the individual who had close contact. At this time, the resident has no symptoms.
While we are still saddened by the passing of a resident who had tested positive, we are encouraged by the recovery of 6 residents who had tested positive with 1 resident still symptomatic. Our hopes are that the outbreak in those cottages has been contained.
Among our staff, we have no new positive cases. Of the 7 total cases we had, 6 have recovered and 1 is still active.
After discussion with Public Health, we are awaiting confirmation from the Zone Medical Officer of Health to lift some outbreak protocols internally for unaffected cottages. This would mean residents in those cottages would be able to leave their rooms and interact with all other precautions in place (masking, physical distancing, hand hygiene).
Prevalence testing for the affected cottages is scheduled for Monday, March 1st.
Our next meeting with Alberta Health Services is scheduled for Friday, February 26th.
update February 19 at 4:30 p.m.
It is never an easy task to notify family and friends of a death but sadly, today, we report a death of one of our residents who had tested positive for COVID-19. It saddens us whenever a resident passes but under these circumstances during an outbreak it becomes particularly poignant. Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends as they grieve.
The death of a loved one, whether family or friend, can leave us reeling and confused. Even if it is expected, few of us are prepared for when it happens. Grief is a human reaction to loss and is an important part of the healing journey. Everyone who has experienced a significant loss needs to grieve – and grieving is a highly personal and individual experience.
We are thankful for our Chaplaincy Team who are providing spiritual and mental health support to those impacted. Our on-site Chaplain is available to residents, staff, and family. We also are grateful to our staff who remain dedicated to our residents as we deal with this outbreak together.
We want to assure everyone that The Bethany Group is taking every action necessary to contain COVID-19 and mitigate the spread. Although no protocol is perfectly effective, our strict outbreak management policies and procedures are all firmly in place. Our staff remain vigilant and continue their service to residents with compassion, understanding, and professionalism.
We continue to work closely with Public Health during this time and follow all directives set out by the Zone Medical Officer of Health and Chief Medical Officer of Health. This includes regular meetings to discuss the latest results, protocols, and directives.
As you know prevalence testing took place yesterday and we have no further positive results. The other 7 residents who had previously tested positive for COVID-19 have recovered.
Residents who were in close contact with the staff member who most recently tested positive are on contact/droplet precautions but have no symptoms and tested negative. These are precautions to mitigate any possible spread.
Another round of prevalence testing is scheduled for Tuesday, February 23rd. Our next scheduled meeting with Alberta Health Services is also on that day.
During this stressful time, it is meaningful for all of us to treat each other with patience and kindness while we support one another. Take a moment to think with love of residents, your family, and yourself.
update February 16 at 3:00 p.m.
We are pleased to report that there are no new symptomatic or positive cases among residents. At this time, we are still at 8 residents who have tested positive. We did receive one more positive case among staff, while two staff members have finished their isolation and are returning to work.
We have received a few questions regarding visits and how long the outbreak may last.
During outbreak protocols, one designated family/support person (previously referred to as Designated Essential Visitor by the Government of Alberta) is allowed at Bethany Meadows. These individuals are important to maintaining a resident’s mental and physical health, and may be a family member, friend, companion, support worker, power of attorney/trustee, legal guardian, or any other person identified by the resident or decision maker as the designated family/support person.
While designated family/support persons are allowed, they must arrange beforehand with Bethany Meadows to visit their loved one.
Other visitors are restricted while outbreak protocols are in place. However, virtual visits can be arranged by calling the site directly.
In terms of how long outbreak protocols are in place - an outbreak will not be lifted until 28 days have passed from the last positive test results or the last onset of symptoms (whichever is longer). That day count resets each time there is a new case. For example, if we were to receive a positive case tomorrow then the 28 day countdown resets.
Public Health will be conducting another round of prevalence testing for residents on February 18th.
Our next scheduled meeting with Alberta Health Services, where we will receive an updated, will be on Friday, February 19th.
update February 12 at 1:00 p.m.
We are pleased to report that we have no new symptomatic or positive residents or staff. One staff member reported back to work yesterday leaving 5 staff off as they finish their recovery/quarantine period.
As we mentioned on Wednesday, resident who were asymptomatic and had tested negative for COVID-19 received their second dose of the vaccine. Residents who were unable to receive their second dose at that time will be able to receive the vaccine after they have recovered.
The third round of prevalence testing is scheduled for tomorrow, Saturday the 13th. There is a possibility further prevalence testing will take place in some cottages. We will receive more information about this on Tuesday.
Our next scheduled meeting with Alberta Health Services is Tuesday, February 16th. We hope you all have a good weekend and Family Day.
update February 10 at 4:20 p.m.
Since our last update, we have had 3 more staff members test positive for COVID-19. This brings the total number of staff to 6 positive cases. We are pleased to report there are no new cases amongst residents, which means we are still at 8 residents in two cottages. At this time, all residents quarantined to their rooms to limit the risk of exposure with 11 on contact/droplet precautions (these precautions require extra Personal Protective Equipment when providing care).
We continue to provide education to our staff on the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment and hand hygiene. These reminders are to help stop the spread of the virus.
We are also pleased to report that the second dose of the vaccine was administered today to residents who were asymptomatic and tested negative for COVID-19.
Our next meeting with Alberta Health Services is scheduled for Friday, February 12th.
update February 8 at 3:30 p.m.
Over the weekend we had one more resident test positive for COVID-19, bringing the total to 8 cases amongst residents within Oak and Maple Cottages. The second round of prevalence testing took place today and we should be getting results in over the next few days.
Staff will also undergo their second round of testing over the next few days. So far, we have no new positive cases among staff.
We are still scheduled for Wednesday, February 10th for the second dose of the vaccine to asymptomatic residents who continue to test negative for COVID-19.
Our next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday but if the vaccinations do happen on that day, the meeting will be deferred until Friday the 12th. We will provide an update on Wednesday to let everyone know what is happening.
update February 5 at 3:00 p.m.
We have most of the results from the prevalence testing back with 3 new positive resident cases. This brings the total to 7 cases amongst residents. The spread is still contained to Oak and Maple Cottages. We also have all but 2 pending results for staff back with no new positive cases.
The next round of prevalence testing for residents will happen on Monday, February 8th.
Alberta Health Services visited the site today to carry out an audit. The audit went well with a few small adjustments made to practices.
We also have some more news on the vaccination schedule. At this time, the second dose of the vaccine is still scheduled for Wednesday, February 10th to asymptomatic residents who continue to test negative for COVID-19.
Our next meeting is scheduled for Monday, February 8th.
update February 2, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.
Prevalence testing for all of Bethany Meadows’ residents took place today. Initially the testing was to be for the two affected cottages but it was decided to expand to all residents. Some of the prevalence testing was done with the new Rapid Test, which revealed one more positive resident, bringing the total to 4 residents in the two Cottages having COVID-19.
Two residents (not in the two cottages affected) were symptomatic and tested earlier. Both residents’ swab tests came back negative for COVID-19. Yesterday, we had 3 more symptomatic residents who have been isolated and tested. We haven’t received their results yet.
In addition to the 2 previously mentioned staff members who tested positive for COVID-19 we have another staff member who has tested positive, bringing the total to 3 staff members. Prevalence testing for staff is still ongoing but of the results returned, they have come back negative.
We also have an update on the vaccination schedule for residents at Bethany Meadows. The first dose of the vaccine was received by 92% of residents. The second round of doses was initially scheduled for February 3rd but has been delayed until the 11th. We will keep you updated on the schedule as we learn more.
On Friday, Alberta Health Services will be conducting an audit as a standard when an outbreak is declared. The audit will help highlight areas that can be improved or revised if needed. In addition to that audit, we had our internal Education Department visit the site to review appropriate Personal Protection Equipment with staff members.
Our next meeting is scheduled for Friday, February 5th.
update February 1, 2021 at 6:00 p.m.
Late on Sunday, January 31st, Alberta Health Services declared an outbreak of COVID-19 in Bethany Meadows. An outbreak is declared when two or more cases are present. Bethany Meadows has three resident cases in two cottages and two cases amongst staff.
We know this is a frightening prospect for residents, families, and staff. Please know that we have taken any and all steps possible to protect the health and safety of everyone. We are disappointed that cases have been found in our facility despite our preemptive actions.
In accordance with AHS regulations, residents are isolated in their rooms due to potential exposure. Staff who may have been exposed or have symptoms must stay at home and be tested to further limit the risk of exposure to other individuals.
Prevalence testing for residents in the two affected cottages and all staff working at Bethany Meadows will take place on the following dates in February: Wednesday the 3rd, Monday the 8th, and Saturday the 13th. This will help determine any potential transmission and the prevalence of the virus at the site.
We are working with Alberta Health Services to best respond to this outbreak.